Diet for Parkinson's Disease
author: doctor Sholenkina О.N.
Parkinson's disease is a chronic disease of the central nervous system, which is based on a disturbance in the metabolism of dopamine (a substance due to which the nerve impulses involved in the implementation of motor acts are transmitted in the human body), the disease is clinically manifested by motor disorders.
There are primary parkinsonism, hereditarily conditioned (Parkinson's disease) and symptomatic, which occurs with various diseases of the central nervous system. For example, the symptoms of the disease can develop as a result of long-term administration of large doses of tranquilizers and other medications that are usually taken uncontrollably by patients (reserpine, antipsychotics, dopegit). The causes can also be carbon monoxide poisoning, intoxication with manganese and other heavy metals, the disease can develop after a head injury, because of brain tumors. In rare cases, Parkinson's disease occurs after a previous viral encephalitis.
The onset of the disease is observed at the age of 40-70 years, the process is constantly progressing. The most revealing clinical symptoms will be tremor of limbs (or trembling), rigidity of muscles (increased muscle tone, in which it is difficult to make any movements), slowing and stiffness of movements, gradually developing handwriting disorders, difficulties in self-service (difficult to get up from the chair, cook and to take food), the gait changes (the patient walks in small steps, stooping). Over time, mimicry scales: the face becomes masked, and the blinking movements are cut. There is excessive salivation, greasiness of the face, sweating, often in patients with depression, dementia develops (dementia). The process progresses differently, in very severe cases or at a late stage of the disease a person is completely immobilized and unable to get out of bed even with the help of close people.
Treatment often begins with the abolition of drugs that act toxic on the body, use drugs such as madapar, levodopa, midokalm, L-dofa and many others. They are prescribed only by a doctor who decides such important questions as dosage and correction, the frequency of application of the substance or substitution for another. Symptomatic therapy is used in the complex.
Proper nutrition in Parkinson's disease
But, unfortunately, it should be noted that often, despite competent treatment, the disease is steadily progressing. Therefore, the patient's task is not only to follow the instructions of a specialist, but also to learn how to live with this disease. And an important point in this science will be a diet or rather a proper approach to eating.
Here it is necessary to highlight a few key points.
1. Fractional power. Frequent snacking in small portions will help to consume the necessary amount of calories per day, which are so necessary for the exhausted disease to the body. After all, everyone understands that it is very difficult to eat the usual portion due to a tremor. It is convenient for someone to divide meals by 5 times, and another will prefer six meals a day, in general, all individually, but with the permission of the attending physician.
2. Medications are prescribed on average 3-4 times a day, and they are absorbed in the intestine, approximately 1.5 hours after ingestion, and in order not to create obstacles for the body to absorb the next pill (increased acidity after eating or overeating), it is better to eat hour before or two hours after eating.
3. The calorie is important. On average, depending on lifestyle, a person spends 2500 calories per day. We must not forget that the body must be given a chance to fight Parkinson's disease, so the diet for weight loss is canceled. Often patients have to reverse, slightly expand the diet due to a minor addition of the necessary proteins or carbohydrates.
4. Often, patients have difficulty in swallowing. In such a situation, doctors recommend eating uncomfortable food, washing it down with a small amount of water. It is preferable to use puree soups, liquid cereals, baked vegetables and fruits, vegetable stews, it is good to diversify sour-milk products, and meat dishes should be in the form of cutlets or casseroles. From the diet are removed large solid pieces of food, spicy, fried, dry food and, of course, it is important to give up alcohol.
5. Because of hand trembling, the very process of ingestion into the mouth is often difficult, so many patients use drinking tubules (which are used for both water and semi-liquid foods), as well as food gadgets (curved spoon, tilt dish) .
6. Unfortunately, patients often observe the development of constipation. For prophylaxis, one should consume a large amount of water a day, at least two liters and try to move more.
Also read the opinion of proper nutrition in Parkinson's disease of another doctor. It is difficult to fight with the disease, but it is possible and necessary. Give the body a chance for a better life.
Author: doctor Derjushev A.N.
The diet, diet and diet are quite important at a proctitis. In this regard, the diet with proctitis comes from a number of general recommendations and becomes almost one of the necessary points of treatment, without which it is impossible to achieve positive results.
author: cms, doctor Polozova Olga
A year-old child, for the most part, eats everything. And caring parents try to provide him with a variety of nutrition, which includes dairy, cereal, meat, fish products and, of course, vegetables.
author: doctor Anastasia Skorykh
Wheat fiber is a natural product, a high-molecular compound made from wheat bran. Fiber is very useful, it contains vitamins E (tocopherol), B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B6 (pyridoxine), C (ascorbic acid) and vitamin PP, as well as carotene, niacin, choline, biotin, folacin.
author: doctor Ilona Lesnaya
Human health and its condition directly depends on how and what it eats. All the useful substances that are necessary for the body we consume with food. There they are split and pass into the blood, which delivers all the useful components to the organs. But there are also substances that are not digested in our orgasm. One of the few is cellulose. For what it is needed, where it is contained and how much it needs to be consumed, now let's try to figure it out.
author: doctor Slyusareva L.V.
They live as much as they are healthy, just the quality of life is somewhat worse. It is an incurable chronic disease of the nervous system, which does not affect the duration of life.
author: doctor Stryuk ON
Parkinson's disease, also called tremor paralysis, is a chronic, inevitably progressive disease that occurs more often at the age of 45-70 years and has a hereditary character in 30% of cases.
author: doctor Cazonova O.I.
Parkinson's disease is a chronic, progressively progressing neurodegenerative disease of the brain associated with the damage to the areas of the midbrain that are responsible for the initiation of voluntary movements, their coordination and smoothness.
author: doctor, Ph.D. Kondrashina E.A.
Parkinson's disease is still a serious neurological pathology, manifested in the progressive violation of all voluntary movements, which ultimately leads patients to a deep disability.